Monday, November 30, 2009

Guest Author Day with JK Coi



How did you start your writing career?


I started by writing for fun, and it was only after I finished my first book, my husband said "So now what are you going to do with it?"

Tell us about your favorite character from your books.

I love all my heroes, but Dorian from The Trouble With Destiny is one of those characters with so much baggage, it would take me years to write his whole story. He's good, but you know there's a thread of bad in him too and it makes you more desperate to figure out his secrets :)

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

It's getting colder and right about now, I'd take any place tropical. I'm having dreams of laying on the beach. Maybe a cabana boy or two to rub my shoulders and bring me drinks....

Tell us about your current/upcoming release.

The Trouble With Destiny is available now from Samhain. This book was loads of fun to write. It’s a sexy and funny urban fantasy romance—Sarah is the biggest smartass you’ll ever meet, and Dorian is coolness extraordinaire all wrapped up in a hot hot package.

Has someone helped or mentored you in your writing career?

All the authors in my RWA Chapter (Toronto) have bene invaluable to me, and I'm so glad that I found the group when I was still in the beginning of my writing career. Not only have I gotten great advice and knowledge, but I've made so many good friends!

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I write mostly in the evenings after the day job is over, the dinner dishes have been put away and kiddo is in bed. It doesn't allow for much time, but I try to make the most of it--sometimes that means I don't get to bed until after midnight, but that's the way it goes, I guess.

Who are your literary heros and why?

I look up to Stephen King for inspiration and motivation. He's accomplished so much. I also aspire to the great classic authors of previous generations: Dickens, Keats, Marlowe, Blake, Bronte, Browning...there are way too many to name.

Tell us five random things about yourself.

1. I'm a Leo (which nobody who knows me doubts in the slightest)

2. Despite what my husband will try to tell you, I don't snore. Really.

3. My MALE cat is named Wicca, and before him my FEMALE cat was named Moose.

4. I can't eat an orange unless I've peeled every spec of the white stuff off of it.

5. I'm addicted to Supernatural. Sam. Dean. *sigh* (where were we?)

What type of writer are you—the one who experiences before writing, like Hemingway, or the one who mostly daydreams and fantasizes?

I like to experience! How can I know if my writing is authentic if I don't. (All within reason, of course.)

From the moment you conceived the idea for the story, to the published book, how long did it take?

Depends on which book. My first book took me 9 months from start to finish, including the first edit. After I pitched it and it was picked up for publication, I think that was about another year before I saw my name on the spine. (Totally cool!)

What book are you reading now?

Right now I'm reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. (of course)

Have you ever woken in the night with the need to write? If so, how do you deal with this urge?

Yep. What else can you do? You write till the brain can't form sentences anymore, and then you're wasted at work the entire next day, but hopefully there's a nugget of brilliance you can salvage and it turns the new story into a cool direction.

If we asked your muse to tell us three things about you, what do you think they would say?

That fickle Beeyotch. She'd say that I don't give her enough time. That I'm always at the day job, or cooking and cleaning. (Actually, I'd have to agree with her) She'd also say I'm my own worst enemy and have to learn not to self-edit so much (constantly fixing what I've already written instead of moving forward to finish). Finally, she'd probably yell at me for not being able to give her free reign to flit from idea to idea. I mainly force the muse to stick with one story at a time.

Where can readers find out more about you and where to find your books?

Whew. Finally, an easy question:

I'm online at www.jkcoi.com
I blog at www.jkcoi.blogspot.com
I'm on Twitter (www.twitter.com/jkcoi) and Myspace (www.myspace.com/jkcoi)

Thanks for having me. This was great fun! !

The Trouble With Destiny blurb:

There’s got to be more to life than studying…

The starving student routine is starting to wear a little thin for Sarah McInnes. If only she could be left alone long enough, she could finish grad school, get a normal nine-to-five and finally afford to move out of her one-room apartment. Maybe even afford a decent wardrobe.

Destiny has other ideas. Not the least of which is the mysterious, overbearing, insufferable Dorian…who also happens to be the hottest thing this side of hell. Three months ago he saved her from certain dismemberment at the hands of a daemon. He also discovered she possesses the ability to send these beasts back to hell where they belong.

Now he not only won’t leave her alone, he’s forcing her to face certain facts: Her social life isn’t going to improve anytime soon. And she may never make it to calculus on time again.

It’s enough to piss a girl off.

Link:

http://new.mybookstoreandmore.com/shop/product.da/the-trouble-with-destiny-sp

5 comments:

EmilyBryan said...

I so with you on the oranges! What is that white junk anyway?

DESTINY sounds like a great read!

J.K. Coi said...

LOL, Emily. Thanks for dropping in!

booklover0226 said...

I have recently discovered your works and look forward in reading them.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Unknown said...

Hi :)
Thank you for having JK here today & thank you JK for sharing. I enjoyed learning more about JK.
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

J.K. Coi said...

Hi RKC, always nice to see you!

And Tracey, I hope you enjoy the books! Take care

Discover Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash

  Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash (Howling Death MC) Publication date: March 29th 2024 Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance   Synopsis: If the...