Monday, January 14, 2013

Welcome Stevie Woods Today


Welcome to my Reading Nook, Stevie Woods. Please make yourself at home and let my cabana boys/girls get you a drink.

Thanks for the invite, nice to be here!

Comfortable? Wonderful. Now let’s get started.

What’s the first thing you did when you received word you’d sold a book?
My very first sale was to Torquere Press at the end of 2006, and my first reaction was shock. I stared at my computer screen reading the acceptance email and I double-checked that it was meant for me! When I realized it was I jumped up and yelled.  Can’t remember what, but it was laced with joy!

Tell us about your latest/upcoming release. What inspired it?
I have a novella due to be released on by Amber Quill Press on January 13th 2013. It’s called Healing and is a fantasy story set in an alternate world. The story of two men, one a healer and the other an engineer, who meet again years after an argument and find they still have more in common than either of them would’ve expected. They have to join forces to battle a dangerous government entity.
As for what inspired it, I’m not entirely sure. I had this vision of a man hurrying down a dark narrow alley looking for a way to find some help. This became the opening scene and then I had to work out why he needed help and in what form. I suppose the inspiration was finding a way to make the story work from such a small beginning.

If one of your books became a movie, which celebrity would you like to star as your characters?
This sort of question always throws meJ  When I’m writing my stories I have a picture of my characters in my head and it’s very hard to change that image and choose another person to ‘impersonate’ them. Truth be told, if I was lucky enough to have one of my novels made into a movie I’d be interested to see who they thought would fit the characters.

What genres would you like to try writing in but haven’t yet done so? Why?
I think I’ve tried just about every sub-genre of gay fiction except for steampunk and if I can get a good idea for that I’ll give that a go too! If you’d asked me this a few weeks back I could have answered shifters, but if things work out with my current WIP that will no longer be the caseJ

What is your normal writing day like? 
I don’t have a specific plan for my writing day, it varies depending on what else is going on in my ‘real life’, and also on how well my present story is going – or not – though on average I try to write about 1,000 words a day. On a good day it can be higher, though on a bad day I’m happy if I can get 500 words written. Some days it is better just to take a rest from writing and do something else. I always spend some time during the day checking out my email, usual lists, FB etc. and perhaps doing some promotion.

Where do you get most of the ideas for your stories? 
Anywhere and everywhere!  It really depends if I’m responding to a specific call which will spark an idea in line with the call, or if it is something that pops up that I simply wish to write about. I might be reading something or watching TV and a scene or even a comment will spark an idea, or speaking with family or friends and a simple comment might start my mind ticking over. Many of these ideas will just be flights of fancy and disappear; the odd one will hang around and nibble at my ankles.

What are some of your hobbies/favorite past times to indulge in? 
I don’t seem to have time these days for much beyond writing, reading and searching for some good TV to watch (not always an easy task, more channels somehow means less choice). I used to knit but my fingers no longer allow that. I do get some exercise when my husband drags me out to go cycling, good thing too for this couch potatoJ

Who are some of your favorite authors, and if we were to visit your home, what books would we find on your bookshelf, end table, floor or e-reader? 
I tend to read mostly m/m eBooks these days, but last year I bought a mainstream series in paperback, the Shardlake novels of C J Sansom (mystery series set in Tudor England). I admit I bought them for research for an historical novel I was writing but I thoroughly enjoyed them and plan to re-read the series again soon.
My taste in m/m authors is wide ranging and I keep finding more excellent authors all the time so it’s difficult – and seemingly unfair – to pick any among them, but I shall try. Names that jump into my mind immediately are Amy Lane, Josh Lanyon, Andrew Grey, R J Scott.  Now I feel guilty because I’m bound to have forgotten a favorite! I have to add a new writer, Tom Webb, whose book Second Chances I recently read – amazing story.

If you could be any character of any book or movie, who would you be?
That’s difficult to answer. I have a wide taste both in reading and movies and not surprisingly it changes with whatever grabs my interest at the time. I really don’t think I could name just one character, by the time the interview came out I’d probably be shaking my head in disbeliefJ

Do you have a favorite TV show you can't miss?
Not sure I have a favorite but there are a few I’m enjoying at the moment, Castle, Arrow, Suits, Downton Abbey (though I couldn’t believe the ending to the Christmas special), Once Upon a Time, Sherlock (BBC series), Merlin (sad that seems to be over now) – they’re probably more but those are off the top of my head
J

What is your writing process? Do you outline, fly by the seat of your pants or a combination of both?
I mostly fly by the seat of my pants. I will have a general idea where the story is going. Making a few notes is good, but detailed plotting rarely works for me. It seems my characters usually have a plan of their own.

Could you tell us about any work-in-progress, current projects, what we can expect from you in the future?
As I referred to in an earlier question, I’m presently trying my hand at writing a shifter story for the first time. I love to read about shifters and have wanted to write one for a while but never had the push to do so, until recently. If the story works I shall be submitting it in answer to a call from Amber Allure. It’s still early days yet though as I’m taking a break from writing over the Christmas and New Year period, intending to knuckle under early in January.
I’ve also been working on a couple of mainstream novels that I hope will be accepted for publication, though if that’s the case it will be under another pen name.
I’ve submitted a prequel to my vampire novel, On Reflection, to MLR Press and am waiting on a decision.
Just yesterday I received confirmation that a short story submitted for an historical anthology has been accepted. Not sure when it will come out but the anthology is entitled Lust in Time and my story is called 794 A.D.

Who has been the most delightful character to write about? The most challenging to write about? 
Oddly, I think it’s the same character, the monk from my Tudor historical, Stone by Stone. The story of a young man, Mark, who in his youth was becoming so out of control that his mother sent him to Rome in the company of a Brother from a local monastery in an attempt to teach him the true value of his life. It succeeded only too well, for when Mark returned his only desire was to be a monk, though he still had other, baser desires that he found it difficult to reconcile with his religion.
He was a joy to write because he found pleasure and worth in everything he did, and it was challenging to show his acceptance of his inner desires and his belief that God still loved him.

What do you do to unwind and relax?  
Read or watch TV.

What is the last line of your last WIP you worked on that you wrote?
Perhaps there in his own territory he could get his head around what he really saw.

Anything you would like to add? (Links to your blog/website, books, etc?)

 Healing by Stevie Woods
Amber Allure
Fantasy M/M
Buy at http://www.amberquill.com/AmberAllure/Healing.html

After an injury, Audin desperately needs the help of a healer, and is shocked to discover the one recommended to him is Tener, a man he hasn’t seen since their split following a blazing argument a dozen years earlier. Since those days, both men have experienced much during their years apart, and life has tempered them. Even though Tener is now a healer rather than the doctor he ought to have become, and Audin is an engineer working for an authoritarian government department, they realize they still have much in common. Including a fierce sexual attraction to each other.

Upon learning that Audin’s life is at stake from an implant placed inside him by the government, and with his own career at risk due to Audin’s position, Tener confesses his secret involvement with an underground organization fighting to bring down the corrupt and dangerous regime.

The men quickly comprehend that they must work together, hoping to solve Audin’s problem and, in consequence, that of others infected by the vicious piece of technology. But can Tener remove the evil device from Audin without killing him in the process? 

No comments:

Discover The Fallenwood Chronicles today/Giveaway

  Check out the tour stop for The Fallenwood Chronicles by Leslie D. Soule today and make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway for a chance ...