Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Getting to know Melissa Blue



What are the most challenging and the most rewarding aspects of writing?
         
Writing is full of challenges and rewards and fortunately the rewards are far greater than the challenges.  Personally the most challenging part of writing is getting past the waiting once the story is finished.  Here I’ve poured my heart and soul into a story, I’m itching to see it on the shelves, but first I have to wait on the whole long drawn out publication process—and it is very long and drawn out depending upon which route an author chooses for a story.
Despite the waiting and potential rejections from agents and publishers alike writing is fun and relieves stress.  My favorite moments are when a clever plot twist or phrase comes to mind and even if no one is there to share it I am pleased.  Seeing the finished product of a book is definitely a huge reward, and one of my favorite parts of the whole publication process is being presented with the cover art.  Is the hero on the cover of “Angel and the Unforgiven” not a total hunk?


Tell us about your latest/upcoming release. What inspired it? Is it part of a series or is it a standalone title?

When murder suspect Cadence Jamison disguises herself as a boy and stows aboard the Heavenly Mistress Captain Curtis Langston may find his two past occasions for rescuing her more than he bargained for. 
Bitter  and Cynical after service in the Confederate Army, Curtis believes himself no more deserving of another’s love than capable of returning it.  Content to drift through life free of emotional and therefore romantic complications the once carefree and mischievous rogue may be forever gone.  But when Cadence appears in his life Curtis finds himself smiling again, smiling and dreaming and feeling more like himself than he has in five years.  Drawn with almost unnatural force to the sweet and innocent goodness Cadence offers, Curtis blunders again and again to resist the pull of what a life with her couldbe.  
Can Cadence show this wounded soul how to love again?  Or is he doomed to be forever unforgiven, haunted by the ghosts of his past?

Angel and the Unforgiven is a standalone sequel to my debut novel Without Regret My Love.  The story was inspired by a secondary character in the first novel in addition to my fascination with Civil War history and the fact that so many books are set within the Civil War, but not immediately after.  Angel and the Unforgiven is exciting and fast paced, full of mystery, and shows some of the dynamics of the American south immediately after the Civil War. 

What are your top 3 favorite paranormal books and movies?

Oh, that’s easy… Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and I know this makes four, but Breaking Dawn as well.  Stephanie Meyer is an incredible story teller and I am hooked on her books.  My favorite paranormal movies include the most recent Wolfman, Eclipse, and Daybreakers.

What character (s) in any of your books is most like you?

That’s a good question… I think that authors always put a little of themselves in the characters they write about because it’s what we know, but if I had to pick one I’d say Marissa McClaffery the heroine of Without Regret My Love.  Marissa is a stubborn nurse who drives a chevy and loves a man in uniform J 

What is the most ridiculous thing that you have thought about doing to any of your characters but never did?

Sex on a horse.   

How do you keep track of your world building?

I’m not much of an outliner which never failed to drive my English teachers insane, but to keep track of my world and the thread of the story I frequently go back to the beginning and read.  This helps me learn more about my characters, change the story as it evolves, and remember some of the smaller details that I don’t want to drop.

What do you feel are the benefits of the new electronic readers such as Kindle 2 or Sony Digital Book Reader to the environment?

A definite advantage of electronic readers are fewer mass market books being mulched up!  Although personally I do prefer print book.  I have a Nook and am very happy with it, but a paperback or hardcover novel is much more personal to me.  I also don’t dare take my ereader to the bathtub! 

What impact do electronic readers create on the bottom line for authors in the end? Do you feel they have a negative impact or positive, or no impact at all that you can see?

That is another great question and I honestly don’t know.  For the most part I believe the bottom line will stem from how well known an author is.  For example, I am a HUGE fan of Julia Quinn.  I will buy her books in whichever format is most convenient at the time.  A few months ago I purchased a short story of hers as an ebook rather than in paperback simply because the ebook was most easily accessible.  Then a couple of months ago I purchased her new release in paperback.  As a reader I am not so much shopping for ebooks vs paperback but for the authors and genre that I know.   

What other jobs have you had besides being an author?

My everyday and favorite job is as a mom, and my bill paying job is as a Registered Nurse.   Montana healthcare is very rural so I am fortunate to work on a unit with multiple specialties from pediatrics to orthopedics to general surgery to oncology.  ‘Jack of all trades master of none’ as they say.

Which authors works do you enjoy reading and do you have any other authors that you bounce ideas of?

Phyllis Campbell, Marie Higgins, and Stacey Coverstone are authors that I enjoy and bounce ideas off of.  Authors that I just plain love to read are Julia Quinn, Cathy Maxwell, Tessa Dare, Kathrine Hawkins, Clive Cussler, Micheal Crichton, James Patterson, and the list goes on… and on… and on some more.  

Where do you see the paranormal/urban fantasy genre headed? Can you see it slowing down in the near future, or do you think that the immediate future is pretty bright for it?

Urban fantasy and paranormal genres will never go away because people love to escape to a world completely different than their own.  I don’t write in the paranormal genre, but I do love to read them and despite what many in the writing industry are saying… vampires are not old!

What is your favorite way to relax after a hard day of work/writing?

My favorite way to relax after a hard day’s work is to write and my favorite way to relax after a hard day of writing is to read a book J

If we asked your muse to describe you in five words, what do you think they may say about you?

Too hard on herself.  Impatient.

Where can readers find you on the net?
Visit my website and drop me a line!!!  I’d love to hear from you.

When murder suspect Cadence Jamison disguises herself as a boy and stows aboard the Heavenly Mistress Captain Curtis Langston may find his two past occasions for rescuing her more than he bargained for. 
Bitter  and Cynical after service in the Confederate Army, Curtis believes himself no more deserving of another’s love than capable of returning it.  Content to drift through life free of emotional and therefore romantic complications the once carefree and mischievous rogue may be forever gone.  But when Cadence appears in his life Curtis finds himself smiling again, smiling and dreaming and feeling more like himself than he has in five years.  Drawn with almost unnatural force to the sweet and innocent goodness Cadence offers, Curtis blunders again and again to resist the pull of what a life with her couldbe.  
Can Cadence show this wounded soul how to love again?  Or is he doomed to be forever unforgiven, haunted by the ghosts of his past?



3 comments:

Melissa Blue said...

Hi, Dawn and thanks so much for having me! I had intended to post sooner today, but it was my birthday and I wound up being very busy, lol!

Melissa

Victoria Roder said...

It was fun to learn about you, and what your muse says to you. In Angel and the Unforgiven I love the thought of stowing away!

Stacey said...

Sex on a horse! Don't knock it till you've tried it, girl. LOL Just kidding, Melissa. I enjoyed your interview. Keep writing and stay patient.

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...